Tuesday 27 April 2010

Inspiration is blooming...

.. quite literally, even in our garden. I have so many ideas - and not all of them floral. I think that the creative tap has been turned on by following the thought process of - 'just look at those', 'lovely colour/shape', how could I reproduce it? What could I decorate with it? What materials could I use? Then off at a tangent - if I made a 'thingummy' with this sort of a fastening/shape/size out of patchwork or felt could I adapt the design to any other purpose. I'm in danger of drowning in ideas and producing very little - but it feels good.

Last week was not very creative. I had a number of things to do which I had put off for so long that the final, final deadlines all came at once! On top of this my 16 year old decided to revive his asthma. I sat up with him for most of one night and had very little sleep for the next two. Now I know that some people can function well on little sleep. I am NOT one of them. I had a dreadful headache, found it difficult to focus(visually and mentally) and just managed to function on a 'do whatever is most urgent', moment to moment basis, to get through each day.

It reminded me of the first 2-3 years of my son's life. He was a lovely, blond haired, blue-eyed, chuckly baby and toddler. He did have the ability to function on very little sleep. About 4 hours in every 24 and even those not all at once. When he was tiny he would sleep for about 2 hours at night and the other two hours of our daily allocation were split into short naps.  The health visitor would say 'You look tired dear.. the housework can wait ...new mums need to learn to sleep when baby sleeps'. I can remember almost shouting at her '  When would that be exactly?' Housework? - not much chance of anything but absolute essentials. I'm not quite sure how we got through the first years of his life. I couldn't do it now but I suppose I am 16 years older! It was such a relief when his sister displayed the ability to sleep 7-8 hours at a time. Her brother, however, three years older than her, continued to wake us up several times almost every night until he was about 10. He then found the confidence to be awake on his own, but only started to sleep through the night at about 12 years old!

Anyway, I'm making up for last week now. I've got too much to fit into one week of planning, stitching, etc so I've taken photos to work from when I can. I thought I'd share them with you.

-------o0o------






















-------o0o-------

I warned you my creative thoughts are a bit random at the moment. All these cultivated (well OK some have self-seeded) flowers and I embroider a brooch based on wild foxgloves. I have been thinking about this one for a long while though!


-------o0o-------

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers! I had the same thought with summer photo's! Great minds think alike, you must have a beautiful garden, Di x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos very inspirational. Hope your young man is recovering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely flowers, and I love the brooch, I have foxgloves in my garden every year, they just seed themselves all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you've caught up on your sleep now, the brooch is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely photographs and the brooch is beautiful. I have just managed to access my Googlemail account, having changed the password to something I can remember, lol!

    ReplyDelete